Here a list of the planned features for the next upcoming releases. Developers, add a feature to a milestone only if you plan on working on it yourselves, and remember to discuss it first on irc or the mailing list.
Note that the list and the items are subject to change. They certainly depend on what contributions we get from new developers. For example, if we get a patch for a feature planned for a later milestones, we will certainly include it earlier.
- TTF font rendering
- Game replay
- Race against a ghost/pre-recorded race
- AI for battle mode and soccer mode
- Scripting support
- Besides using scripting in tracks we would also like to replace some C++ code with scripts.
- Merge the 3 GSoC branch (Talk:New graphical pipeline, network lobby and network core).
- Significant graphical improvements.
- Tracks need to be redesigned/improved, and it's unlikely that all tracks will be improved initially.
- Vote for addons (http://stkaddons.net/).
- This will actually be the basis for online multiplayer, since it will handle logging into a server etc.
- Perhaps start adding some kind of 'friend' support - you could get a notification if a friend is online.
- Different physics for different karts.
- Bug fix release
- New items
- Objects that emit sounds when you get near them (e.g. space shuttle in city track could make a humming sound if you get close enough; there are better examples)
- Performance improvements using LOD
- Improve physics
- Update to latest Bullet (physics engine) (there was another update, no need to apply this as well at this stage)
- Skidding : by setting friction = 0 and applying the torque, the feeling is quite good; so we just need to tweak and test this further... - implementation is actually different, but:
- Better bumping of karts into each other (push karts aside)
- Use reverse tracks as a unlockable feature?
- Career mode (replacing/evolved version of challanges) and/or different difficulties for challenges
- Eye candy