Here a list of the planned features for the next upcoming releases. We hope that we get back to a much more frequent release cycle now that irrlicht is properly integrated in STK. Developers, add a feature to a milestone only if you plan on working on it yourselves, and remember to discuss it first on the mailing list.
Note that the list and the items are subject to change. They certainly depend on what contributions we get from new developers. For example, if we get a patch for a feature planned for 0.8, we might move this to 0.7.* and do a release, even if other 0.7.* features are still missing.
- Bug fix release
- New items
- Objects that emit sounds when you get near them (e.g. space shuttle in city track could make a humming sound if you get close enough; there are better examples)
- Performance improvements using LOD
- Improve physics
- Update to latest bullet
- skidding : by setting friction = 0 and applying the torque, the feeling is quite good; so we just need to tweak and test this further
- better bumping of karts into each other (push karts aside)
- Use reverse tracks as a unlockable feature? (mostly done)
- Career mode and/or different difficulties for challenges
- Eye candy
- Light effects
- Normal maps, light maps? (partially done)
- Game replay
- Race against a ghost/pre-recorded race (depends on replay mode)
- Note that this depends on finalising the physics: game replay should use extrapolation to reduce the file size, and this would depend on the physics.
- Vote for addons
- Online highscore lists - collect suggestions/comments on a separate page. This will need game replay, since the top 20 (or so) entries will have their replay saved, so that people can race against saved highscores and verify the correctness of an entry.
- Multiplayer network support for WAN environments
- mini games (besides normal racing mode), e.g.:
- pacman mode: karts must collect a certain number of coins (or something else on the road), while being chased by ghost karts
- Polish up :)