Here a list of the planned features for the next upcoming releases. We hope that we get back to a much more frequent release cycle now that irrlicht is properly integrated in STK. Developers, add a feature to a milestone only if you plan on working on it yourselves, and remember to discuss it first on the mailing list.
Note that the list and the items are subject to change. They certainly depend on what contributions we get from new developers. For example, if we get a patch for a feature planned for 0.8, we might move this to 0.7.* and do a release, even if other 0.7.* features are still missing.
Note that the list here might get distributed over two or three releases. E.g. if there are severe bugs in 0.7, we might do 0.7.1 as bugfix release only. And of course it also depends on contributions - features might get in early if we get a patch (or be delayed if sufficient new features are in).
- Bug fixes.
- STK can get STK news from a server, allowing players to be informed about new STK version, karts etc.
- Translation updates
- Eye candy, e.g. (though certainly not all of them will be implemented in 0.7, some will come in later, or even not at all. It partly depends on what track designers need)
- Light effects
- Particle effects (rain, particles when driving on earth/sand/grass, smoke over a fire, etc.)
- Nicer-looking nitro (less static, to start with)
- Normal maps, light maps? (partially done)
- Objects that emit sounds when you get near them (e.g. space shuttle in city track could make a humming sound if you get close enough; there are better examples)
- Performance improvements
- Addon manager, allowing players to download and install additional tracks and karts in game.
- Use reverse tracks as a unlockable feature?
- Improve physics
- Different difficulties for challenges
- Game replay
- Race against a ghost/pre-recorded race (depends on replay mode)
- Note that this depends on finalising the physics: game replay should use extrapolation to reduce the file size, and this would depend on the physics.
- Online highscore lists - collect suggestions/comments on a separate page. This will need game replay, since the top 20 (or so) entries will have their replay saved, so that people can race against saved highscores and verify the correctness of an entry.
- Story Mode?
- Multiplayer network support for WAN environments
- mini games (besides normal racing mode), e.g.:
- pacman mode: karts must collect a certain number of coins (or something else on the road), while being chased by ghost karts
- Polish up :)