Here a list of the planned features for the next upcoming releases. Developers, add a feature to a milestone only if you plan on working on it yourselves, and remember to discuss it first on the mailing list.
Most important features
Move from plib to irrlichtTemplate:Done
Support animationsTemplate:Done (animation support is imperfect but there)
For kart drivers, and for track featuresTemplate:Done
Support moving objects on the track betterTemplate:Done
- Anything ranging from rocks or coconuts thrown at the players to other karts or cars driving, ... (though this is already mostly done).
Replace shortcut with check linesTemplate:Done
They should be rather flexible (e.g. to allow shortcuts, e.g. either hit this or that check line, ...)Template:Done
- Perhaps trigger track animation and/or sfx (kart coming close to people might get some cheering) - work in progress.
Replace drivelines with a more flexbile graph-based data structureTemplate:Done
Optional features (i.e. will be done if we have time, but we won't postpone the irrlicht release if any of those are missing)
- Use reverse tracks as a unlockable feature
- Mostly implemented, but not properly tested. This might even get postponed if irrlicht is ready earlier.
- Anvils are considered to be too harsh (there is no way to handle them, you are just a victim), a potential replacement might be: spray some paint on the wind screen, i.e. overlay part of the screen with some paint drops so that you can't see properly?? AI karts might just slow down instead/ Note: delayed till later.
Release 0.8 (subject to change)
- Package manager
- Improve physics
- Update to latest bullet?
- skidding : by setting friction = 0 and applying the torque, the feeling is quite good; so we just need to tweak and test this further
- better bumping of karts into each other (push karts aside)
- Different difficulties for challenges
- Game replay (not sure, is partly added, but not finished - this might get in later)
- Race against a ghost/pre-recorded race (depends on replay mode)
- Online highscore lists - collect suggestions/comments on a separate page. This will need game replay, since the top 20 (or so) entries will have their replay saved, so that people can race against saved highscores and verify the correctness of an entry.
- Graphical improvements (and other candy) : now that we have irrlicht let's push its use a bit :)
- LOD & Billboards (helping push performance while allowing for greater visual quality)
- Light effects
- Particle effects (rain, particles when driving on earth/sand/grass, etc.)
- Normal maps, light maps?
- Objects that emit sounds when you get near them (e.g. space shuttle in city track could make a humming sound if you get close enough; there are better examples)
- Story Mode?
- Auto-update function?
Release 0.9 (subject to change)
- Multiplayer network support for WAN environments
- mini games (besides normal racing mode), e.g.:
- pacman mode: karts must collect a certain number of coins (or something else on the road), while being chased by ghost karts
- Polish up :)